HOW IS EXCIMER LASER TREATMENT DONE?
First of all, checking wether the patient is a good candidate for the operation is determined by the specialist physician. Then, focusing on the person's vision problem/problems and degree, Excimer Laser corrects refractive errors by reshaping the corneal layer on the eye. The operation, which takes an average of 5 minutes, is extremely safe. Thanks to the local anesthesia applied in the form of eye drops, the person does not feel any pain and is discharged from the hospital within hours on the same day of the operation.
THINGS TO CONSIDER BEFORE EXCIMER LASER TREATMENT:
As a result of the examination, patients who are diagnosed to be good candidates for the laser procedure and who are by any mean using contact lenses should stop using them 1 week before the operation. On the day of the operation, the person's skin should be clean, should not put on make-up and should not use perfume. (The use of perfume can have a negative effect on laser mirrors).
WHAT ARE EXCIMER LASER THERAPY TECHNIQUES?
Excimer laser treatment methods are known as PRK/LASEK, LASIK and Intralase LASIK.
PRK/LASEK: The epithelial layer on the cornea is removed with alcohol or a spatula, reaching the stroma and applying laser.
LASIK: In this technique, the corneal surface is lifted finely by laser and a flap is created. Then this cover is removed and excimer laser is applied to the underlying tissue.Intralase LASIK: Also known as the most advanced excimer laser treatment, this method is extremely safe and has a very high success rate. After the cornea map of the person is drawn by the computer, laser is applied with the LASIK method.
THINGS TO CONSIDER AFTER EXCIMER LASER:
- Do not take a bath or touch your eyes within the first 24 hours following the operation.
- Make sure to take the medicines given by your doctor regularly and to put on your protective glasses.
- It is very normal to have complaints such as stinging, burning, watering, itching that will occur in the first 5-6 hours.
- Avoid activities such as swimming (sea or pool) for the first 3 weeks.
- Do not apply eye makeup for the first 2 weeks, make sure about the quality of the materials you will use later and definitely do not share them with anyone else to use but you.